1 unusual or striking; "a remarkable sight"; "such poise is singular in one so young" [syn: remarkable]
2 beyond or deviating from the usual or expected; "a curious hybrid accent"; "her speech has a funny twang"; "they have some funny ideas about war"; "had an odd name"; "the peculiar aromatic odor of cloves"; "something definitely queer about this town"; "what a rum fellow"; "singular behavior" [syn: curious, funny, odd, peculiar, queer, rum, rummy]
3 being a single and separate person or thing; "can the singular person be understood apart from his culture?"; "every fact in the world might be singular...unlike any other fact and sole of its kind"-William James
4 grammatical number category referring to a single item or unit [ant: plural]
5 the single one of its kind; "a singular example"; "the unique existing example of Donne's handwriting"; "a unique copy of an ancient manuscript"; "certain types of problems have unique solutions" [syn: unique] n : the form of a word that is used to denote a singleton [syn: singular form] [ant: plural]
- Being only one of a larger population.
- A singular experiment cannot be regarded as scientific proof of the existence of a phenomenon.
- Being the only one of the kind; unique.
- Distinguished by superiority.
- Being out of the ordinary.
- Referring to only one thing or person.
- In the context of "linearalg|of matrix": Having no inverse.
- In the context of "linearalg|of transformation": Having the property that the matrix of coefficients of the new variables has a determinant equal to zero.
being only one of larger population
being the only one of a kind
distinguished by superiority
being out of the ordinary
grammar: referring to only one thing
linear algebra: of matrix: having no inverse
- Finnish: singulaarinen
- German: singulär]]
Singular may refer to:
- A grammatical number denoting a unit quantity (as opposed to the plural and other forms)
- SINGULAR, a computer algebra system
- gravitational singularity
- technological singularity
- Cingular Wireless, a major mobile network operator in North America.
- A group of boars
- Singular Asset Management, A boutique fund management firm in Malaysia
- Mathematical singularity
- A singular matrix is one that is not invertible
- A singular measure is a measure or probability distribution whose support has zero Lebesgue measure. More generally, one may speak of an object "singular with respect to a measure μ", meaning that μ replaces the Lebesgue measure above
- An infinite cardinal number is called singular if it is not a regular cardinal
- Singulair, Merck trademark for Montelukast, a common prescription drug used in maintenance treatment of asthma and to relieve symptoms of seasonal allergies.
singular in Tosk Albanian: Singular
singular in Arabic: أَحَدٌ
singular in Czech: Jednotné číslo
singular in German: Singular
singular in Spanish: Singular (desambiguación)
singular in French: Singulier
singular in Icelandic: Eintala
singular in Italian: Singolare
singular in Dutch: Singulier
singular in Swedish: Singularis
singular in Portuguese: Singular
a certain, abnormal, absolute, absurd, alone, an, anomalous, any, any one, appropriate, atomic, atypical, azygous, bizarre, celibate, certain, characteristic, concrete, conspicuous, crank, crankish, cranky, crotchety, curious, defined, definite, detailed, determinate, deviant, deviative, different, discrete, distinct, distinctive, distinguished, divergent, dotty, dual, eccentric, either, eminent, erratic, esoteric, especial, exceptional, exclusive, express, extraordinary, fey, first and last, fixed, flaky, freaked out, freakish, freaky, funny, idiocratic, idiosyncratic, impair, important, in character, individual, indivisible, inner, integral, intimate, intrinsic, irreducible, irregular, isolated, kinky, kooky, lone, maggoty, marked, minute, monadic, monistic, notable, noteworthy, number, nutty, odd, oddball, off, off the wall, offbeat, one, one and only, only, only-begotten, out, outlandish, outre, outstanding, particular, passing strange, peculiar, personal, plural, precise, private, prominent, proper, quaint, queer, quintessential, quirky, rare, remarkable, respective, screwball, screwy, separate, several, signal, significant, simple, single, sole, solid, solipsistic, solitary, solo, special, specific, strange, superior, trial, true to form, twisted, unanalyzable, uncommon, unconventional, undivided, unearthly, unexampled, uniform, unimaginable, unique, unitary, unnatural, unordinary, unpaired, unrepeatable, unrepeated, unthinkable, unusual, unwonted, wacky, weird, whimsical, whole, wondrous strange